FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
League Names 14 League Cycling Instructors
April 5th, 2011 Tampa, Florida: 14 individuals have earned the prestigious certification of League Cycling Instructor from the League of American Bicyclists, a 125-year-old national bicycling organization.
These individuals have completed in-depth training on teaching skills for cycling in traffic, on trails and with groups of riders,” said Preston Tyree, Education Director for the League of American Bicyclists. These individuals will now be able to train all levels of riders how to confidently and effectively cycle for fun, fitness and transportation.”
LCI seminars educate participants on how to teach bicycle safety and skills to all levels of riders rather than focusing on technical bicycling knowledge. The League Cycling Instructor designation is only given after a person qualifies for, and excels in, an intense three-day education seminar.
“League Cycling Instructors are the backbone of the League’s education program,” said Andy Clarke, executive director of the League of American Bicyclists. These Individuals have demonstrated a proficiency in teaching, a love of cycling, and a willingness to share these skills with other riders.” Experienced cyclists interested in teaching others how to ride safely are eligible to apply for the seminar. A prerequisite is completing the League’s Traffic Skills 101 course.
The Tampa seminar was conducted on April 1-3 by League Coach: Tina Russo LCI #395. Tina is an avid cyclist and has been a League Coach since 1996. With Tina’s guidance she was able to certify the following new candidates:
1. Rebecca Alfonso: Oldsmar, FL - Florida Bicycle Association
2. Julie Bond: Tampa, FL – Tampa Baycycle:
3. Tim Bowen: Panama City, FL – SafeKids Emerald Coast:
4. Jeffery Cook: Milwaukee, WI – Milwaukee Police Department:
5. Shaun Drinkard: Tampa, FL – Tampa Downtown Partnership:
6. Bud Gaunce: Sarasota, FL – Sarasota-Manatee Bicycle Club:
7. Drew Hunter: Tampa, FL:
8. Jason Jackman: Tampa, FL - Tampa Baycycle:
9. Karen Kress: Tampa, FL - Tampa Downtown Partnership:
10. Randy Myhre: Tampa, FL - Olivers Cycle Sport:
11. Terry Parris: Lynn Haven, FL - SafeKids Emerald Coast:
12. Gene Peters: Ocean Springs, MS:
13. Ellen Pierson: Tampa, FL - Police Unity Tour:
14. Jim Shirk: Tampa, FL – Tampa BayCycle:
For more information on Traffic Skills 101 and other Smart Cycling courses www.bikeleague.org or Sharon Monahan of Penn’s Cycling School http://pennscyclingschool.blogspot.com 813-482-4364.
The League of American Bicyclists promotes bicycling for fun, fitness and transportation, and works through advocacy and education for a bicycle-friendly America. The League represents the interests of America's 57 million bicyclists, including its 300,000 members and affiliates. For more information or to support the League, visit www.bikeleague.org.